Spring is arriving early in the Charlotte NC and Piedmont NC area, and with it comes the beautiful sight of blooming trees. However, this early arrival also means an earlier onset of allergy season, with the increased pollen count causing misery for those who suffer from allergies. This year, the effects of an early spring are being felt more than ever, with trees blooming weeks earlier than usual and causing the pollen count to soar.
According to average Charlotte Weather, the unseasonably warmer weather is responsible for the early blooming of trees in the area. The temperatures have been consistently above average for this time of year, leading to earlier growth and pollination. As a result, allergy sufferers are already experiencing symptoms such as the dreaded watery/itchy eyes & runny noses.
While it may be difficult to avoid outdoor allergens all together, there are some measures that can be taken to dramatically improve your indoor air quality and reduce exposure to pollen and other allergens. Here’s a list for South End Heating & Air’s allergy reducing tips:
- Install Allergen Rated Air Filters: Replace your air filters regularly with high-efficiency allergen rated filters that are designed to capture allergens such as pollen, dust mites, and pet dander. These do cost slightly more, but you get what you pay for.
- Keep Windows & Doors Closed: During the high pollen count days, it’s important to keep windows and doors closed to prevent pollen from entering your home. Use your air conditioning or a fan to circulate air instead. Often opening windows after a good rain is the best time to let the fresh air in.
- Dust and Vacuum Often: Regular cleaning can help reduce the amount of dust and allergens particles in your home. Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter to trap allergens, and wipe down surfaces with a damp cloth to remove pollen and other particles.
- Use a dehumidifier: Keeping humidity levels low can help to reduce the growth of mold and mildew, which can trigger allergies. Use a dehumidifier to maintain a comfortable humidity level of around 30-50%. This likely will help to make your home feel more cool as well.
- Washing Your Bedding: Pollen and other allergens can accumulate on bedding, so it’s important to wash your sheets, pillowcases, and bed spreads regularly in hot water to kill dust mites and other allergens.
- Don’t Smoke Indoors: Cigarette smoke can aggravate allergies and cause respiratory problems, so it’s important to avoid smoking indoors. Even burning incense can have the the same effect.
- Use Air Purifiers: Air purifiers can help remove allergens from the air, but it’s important to choose a model that is designed to capture the specific allergens that you are allergic to.
In conclusion, while the early arrival of spring in the Charlotte NC and Piedmont NC area may be a welcome sight for some, it can also bring misery for allergy sufferers. By taking a few easy steps to improve indoor air quality, it’s possible to greatly reduce exposure to allergens and alleviate symptoms. We’re here for you! With a little effort, it’s possible to enjoy the beauty of spring without suffering from allergies.
Call today and ask to schedule a free consultation for our air quality products, 704-684-5339. Many of our customers and even our own employees know first hand about the benefits of media filters, air purifiers, and general frequent maintenance.